Definition of Child Sexual Abuse according to the Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act (CAPTA):
The employment, use, persuasion, inducement, enticement, or coercion of any child to engage in, or assist any other person to engage in, any sexually explicit conduct or simulation of such conduct for the purpose of producing a visual depiction of such conduct; or the rape, and in cases of caretaker or interfamilial relationships, statutory rape, molestation, prostitution, or other form of sexual exploitation of children, or incest with Children.
- There are more than 42 million survivors of sexual abuse in America.
- 1 in 3 girls are sexually abused before the age of 18.
- 1 in 5 boys are sexually abused before the age of 18.
- 1 in 5 children are solicited sexually while on the Internet before the age of 18.
- 30% of sexual abuse is never reported.
- Nearly 70% of all reported sexual assaults (including assaults on adults) occur to children age 17 and under.
- 90% of child sexual abuse victims know the perpetrator in some way.
- Approximately 20% of the victims of sexual abuse are under age eight.
- 95% of sexual abuse is preventable through education.
- 38% of the sexual abusers of boys are female.
- There is worse lasting emotional damage when a child’s sexual abuse started before the age of six, and lasted for several years. Among child and teen victims of sexual abuse there is a 42 percent increased chance of suicidal thoughts during adolescence.
Child abuse occurs at every socioeconomic level, across ethnic and cultural lines, within all religions and at all levels of education.
- RAINN http://www.rainn.org/
- Stop It Now http://www.stopitnow.org/
- The Florida Council Against Sexual Violence: www.fcasv.org
- Child Molestation Research and Prevention Institute: www.childmolestationprevention.org
- ChildHelp: www.childhelpusa.org
- Child Welfare Information Gateway: www.childwelfare.gov
- Prevent Child Abuse America: www.preventchildabuse.org
- US Department of Health and Human Services: www.hhs.gov
- Florida Department of Health: www.doh.state.fl.us
- National Center for Missing and Exploited Children: www.missingkids.com
- Darkness to Light: www.d2l.org
- The National Children’s Alliance: www.nationalchildrensalliance.org